Sunday, September 9, 2012

Back into the swing of things...

The first week back to dance classes always leaves me a little sore and a lot discouraged.  But that's just motivation for me to keep working hard in class.  I took about three months off from dance this summer to pursue an internship position at a medical research institute in Buffalo, NY and to complete observational hours with an orthopedic surgeon.  I was glad I took the time off to pursue my medical aspirations but I did miss dancing a lot.  Sometimes it takes that time off to realize how much you really enjoy something.  Even though at some points dance can be the most frustrating aspect of my life, I love the challenges it presents and I owe a lot of who I am to the lessons I learned through my fifteen years of experience of dance.
But after returning to ballet classes this past week, I was both sore and excited to be back dancing.  Although my break this summer may have taken a toll on my flexibility capabilities and strength to some degree, I still had my passionate movement quality that has always presented itself when I perform and dance.  In my Senior Pro-Seminar dance class, we are beginning to cultivate our audition materials such as our resume, cover letter, and audition photos.  It is amazing to see how much I have progressed and have learned over my four years at Mercyhurst.  Looking over the amazing artists and directors I have been privileged to work with these pas years, I know that my technique has become very diverse from my training in college.  Although auditioning is very stressful and scary process, it also is exhilarating to show off what you been working for over your many years of dancing.
I am still in the process of selecting different dance companies to audition for but with the amount of research I have been completing with my Senior Pro-Seminar class, I know that I will be prepared when it comes time to audition in the early Spring.
As for my medical school applications, I have completed another secondary application this time to Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons.  I believe that my AMCAS primary application should be verified by the AAMC this week or so which means that I should have secondary applications quickly rolling in soon.  Also next week I receive my scores from my second attempt at the MCAT.  I am really praying to come close to a 30 because these scores are going to be the only one downfall to my application if I do not score better than my mediocre score I received the first time.  I'm trying not to freak out about it but I cannot help but think about the uncertainty I will feel about next year if I don't score high enough.  Keep your fingers crossed for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment